Completing your research degree is a life-changing experience that often requires some support. Learn more about the scholarships which could be available to help you balance your research with your other commitments.
At Murdoch we offer a range of research scholarships. There are also a number of scholarships offered by external providers, including government and private organisations.
If you’re awarded a scholarship, you’ll receive a payment to help support your study. It is not a loan and does not have to be repaid. Scholarships can help cover fees and living costs and are available to both domestic and international students, studying both full-time or part-time.
Throughout your research candidacy you may be able to apply for other grants to assist with research costs such as travel, photocopying and thesis binding.
Applying for a research scholarship
Here are some things to keep in mind when you’re exploring your options or preparing your scholarship application:
- Explore all the options available for your study area.
- Plan ahead to meet the application deadline.
- Read all of the scholarship requirements carefully before applying. For example, if you will need a letter from your supervisor to support your application, you might need to ask them sooner rather than later.
- Make sure you understand what is covered and for how long the scholarship might last.
- Ask questions early. If you need to know more before you apply, please get in touch with us. If we can’t answer your question directly, we can help you get in touch with the right team to speak with.
How we review scholarship applications
Every year, our Research Degrees and Scholarships Committee meet in the first two weeks of December to rank all candidates who have applied for a scholarship. The first round of scholarship offers will be emailed by late-December. Here’s what you need to know:
- If you apply for a scholarship, your application will be assessed based on academic merit and your research potential. Your ranking won’t be affected by your age or whether you have applied to another institution.
- Competition for scholarships is intense, and you would generally only receive a first round offer if you have an Honours 1 or equivalent.
- As an applicant, you are granted a score by our Research Degrees and Scholarships Committee in consultation with your school of study. This score is a total of points gained from your undergraduate record, graduate qualifications and research potential and, where appropriate, a score for being in an area of research strength.
- It’s important to give details of any of your published work including refereed journals, books, non-refereed forums such as journals, technical reports, conference proceedings, conference posters, web based items, performances or works of art.
- Please also provide details of your relevant work experience in your area of proposed research.
If you’re currently enrolled in a PhD or EdD, you’re eligible to apply for a scholarship.
Explore available research scholarships
|Scholarship||Study level||Value ($A)||Apply by|
|WA Sheep Industry Scholarship Program||Honours||Up to $5,000||31 Mar 2018|
|WA Sheep Industry Scholarship Program||Masters/PhD||$38,000 p.a.||31 Mar 2018|
|Government of Western Australia China Scholarships||PhD||Up to $4,000||31 Mar 2018|
|The Lowitja Institute Starlight Children’s Foundation Scholarship||PhD||$40,000 p.a.||31 Mar 2018|
|Research Training Program Stipend Scholarships||Masters/PhD||$27,082 p.a.||International: 30 September 2018|
Domestic: 31 October 2018
|Kulbardi Postgraduate Research Degree Students||Masters/PhD||$27,082 p.a.||31 October 2018|
|Harry Butler Institute PhD Scholarship||PhD||$27,000 p.a.||Until awarded|
|Potato Research WA||PhD||$26,682 p.a.||Until awarded|
|Grains Research and Development Corporation||PhD||$28,000 p.a.||Until awarded|
|Telethon Kids Institute's Wesfarmers Centre of Vaccines & Infectious Diseases Higher Degree Research Scholarship||All||$10,000 p.a.||To be determined|
|Murdoch University with Kings Park Science, South 32 and WABSI PhD top up scholarship||PhD||$7,500 p.a.||To be determined|