Double majors, minors and combined degrees
Double majors and minors
Completing a double major or adding a minor to your degree will help you expand your expertise and broaden your career prospects. Here’s what you need to know:
- A double major is a maximum of two majors completed under one degree (eg Bachelor of Science).
- A minor is a secondary concentration, or group of units. A minor has fewer required units and credit points than a major.
- Depending on your course, you may be able to enrol in up to 2 majors; or 2 majors and 1 minor; or 1 major and 2 minors.
- Double Majors and minors do not usually add additional time or credit points to your degree.
- Any majors and minors you complete will be recorded on your Statement of Academic Record.
- Upon completing a double major, you will receive a single testamur (degree certificate) on graduation which will record both majors.
Applying for a double major or minor
Before you can start a double major or add any minors to your course, you must apply and be accepted to Murdoch for a single major. Once you’ve accepted your offer to study at Murdoch, you can apply through MyAnswers to add a second major or any minors to your enrolment record
You’ll receive written confirmation when your second major or minor has been added. You can then self-enrol in the units for a second major or minor.
Due to student quotas some majors are restricted and cannot be added as a double major. If you meet the entry requirements and would like to study one of these restricted majors, place it as your first preference when you apply.
A combined degree allows you to study and complete the requirements for two different degrees, for example a Bachelor of Education and a Bachelor of Science, at the same time, which usually takes a year or two longer than a single degree or double major.
You can apply for a combined degree in the same way you would a single degree – just follow the steps on How to Apply. If you’re already studying at Murdoch and want to change to a combined degree you’ll need to request a course transfer.
See our combined degrees
- Communication and Creative Media
Health and Science